Chief Technology Officer
Who are we
Tended is a rapidly-growing tech startup based in Lincoln. We’re on a mission to improve personal safety with
intelligent safety solutions and accident-detection wearables, which help to detect and prevent accidents for both work and play. Just 19 months since launch, we’ve gained significant traction and have grown our team from just 1 to 22, selling products worldwide and securing pilots with a number of the world's leading companies.
This is an exciting time to join our team as not only have we been named as one of the UK’s most exciting early stage tech companies by Tech Nation but we have also recently closed our first major funding round, supported by both private equity and government funding.
As a venture-backed company, we are looking to add a brilliant and experienced technical mind to our executive leadership team. This CTO hire will lead the company’s technology strategy, manage our team of 14 engineers and guide Tended through it's next phase of growth. The role will oversee software and hardware engineering, delivering clear technical vision in what is a complex and challenging environment.
- Drive the vision and strategy around the technology platform and approach to R&D creating a technology
- roadmap that is aligned with the commercial goals of the company.
- Follow current technology trends and market developments to ensure that the company’s products and
- roadmap offers a competitive technical advantage.
- Work alongside our Chinese manufacturing partner to ensuring the manufacturing process is optimized,
- functional and offers high yield output and able to problem solve at a detailed level if required.
- Monitor aggregated customer feedback to build reasoning for whether changes, new versions or features
- need to be made to the hardware and software.
- Provide strong leadership that inspires and motivates the technology team members, whilst executing
- efficient management of direct reports.
- Deliver world-class product development capabilities through a culture of product release cycles and lean,
- agile working across all technical departments.
- Work with the rest of the executive team to define, then have responsibility for, the technology budgets
- required to achieve the agreed roadmap.
- Communicate with and engage end customers when required and deliver high quality technical
- presentations both internally and externally.
- Responsible for identifying emerging Intellectual Property that could be protected across the platform and
- able to work with the executive team to evaluate the return on investment of protecting this IP.
- Cultivate a positive culture in line with the company’s core values.
What we’re looking for:
- Successful track record as a CTO/Lead Engineer or tech entrepreneur in a high-growth tech startup
- Extensive experience in software development life cycle, best practices and Agile software development.
- Experience of managing, motivating and developing teams to high levels of efficiency and achievement
- Experience with managing large complex technology projects, timelines and critical paths.
- Experience of taking products to market from initial concept through to mass manufacture.
- Able to ensure products developed are high quality and fault tolerance in both hardware and software.
- Experience in fast-paced mission critical development environments.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with proven ability to effectively communicate across a distributed workforce.
- An inclusive leader that builds a connection to the workforce through personal involvement and trust.
- Experience of managing and taking responsibility for budgets and delivering against milestones.
- Articulate, hardworking, analytical mind-set and a hands-on approach.